Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and other damage to the brain at birth can have life-long consequences for you and for your baby. Giving birth can be a complicated and difficult process, even in the best cases. Sometimes, medical personnel make mistakes that cause the infant to suffer brain damage at birth. It is unfortunate; however, it happens more than you may know.
It is estimated that approximately one in 1,000 infants suffer some type of brain damage during birth. While this seems to be a low number, if it is your baby, it is one too many. If your infant suffered brain damage at birth, you have the right to seek compensation from the responsible parties. Our Fresno personal injury attorneys understand you want justice. We have experience handling severe brain injury cases like yours. Call our office at to 1-800-954-4444 schedule a free consultation.
Common Causes of Brain Injury at Birth
Thousands of children are born each day in America without complications. However, due to medical negligence and mistakes, some of those births result in brain damage for the infant. When this is the case, parents have the right to know what went wrong during birth. Parents and their children also have the right to seek compensation for damages because of the negligence and mistakes made during the birthing process.
Some factors that increase the risk of brain damage for an infant include, but are not limited to:
- Low Blood Sugar – Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can occur during a challenging and difficult labor. If the infant’s blood sugar level drops and doctors fail to treat the condition, brain damage can occur.
- Lack of Oxygen – Reduced oxygen (cerebral hypoxia) can be the result of several conditions including placental abruption, low blood pressure for the mother during labor, breech delivery, umbilical cord compression or prolapse, and the umbilical cord getting wrapped around the infant’s neck. Any trauma that lowers the level of oxygen for the infant can result in brain damage.
- Delivery Delays – If medical staff fails to manage labor and delivery correctly, the infant can suffer brain damage due to the delay. For example, failing to perform a Cesarean section in a timely manner can result in cerebral palsy.
- Use of Delivery Tools – The use of forceps and vacuums can be very dangerous for the infant if not used correctly. Brain damage can occur from the use of these delivery tools.
- Jaundice – If an infant has jaundice, doctors must work quickly to treat jaundice. Jaundice is treatable; however, if your doctor fails to diagnose this condition, untreated jaundice can result in brain damage.
If your infant suffered brain damage during delivery, it is in your best interest and the best interest of your child to consult with a Fresno brain injury attorney as soon as possible.
Complications Due to Brain Damage During Birth
The complications and conditions your child faces due to brain damage can range from mild to severe. Consequences of brain damage at birth include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Developmental delays
- Intellectual disabilities
- Neonatal, hypoxic ischemic, or periventricular encephalopathy
If your infant has any unexplained symptoms or you suspect your infant was injured during delivery, you need to seek medical assistance immediately. Some common symptoms to watch for include:
- Difficulty focusing eyes
- Missed or delayed developmental milestones
- Feeding difficulties
- Excessive fussiness and/or crying
- Misshapen head or facial deformity
If you have any doubts or concerns, see your doctor immediately.
Contact a Fresno Brain Injury Attorney
Contact the Fresno brain injury lawyers of Torem & Associates by calling 1-800-954-4444 or use our convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation.