According to the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), the number of motorcycle fatalities in California increased by 12% from 2013 to 2014. Your odds of being killed in a motor vehicle accident when riding a motorcycle are higher than if you are riding in a passenger vehicle. Motorcycles do not afford the same level of protection as a passenger vehicle. During a collision, you take the full force of the impact when riding a motorcycle compared to the vehicle taking most of the force of the impact when you are in a passenger vehicle. The lack of protection for the rider is one of the main reasons a Fresno motorcycle accident typically results in catastrophic injuries for the cyclist.
While there may be nothing you can do to avoid a Fresno motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver, you can take steps to reduce your risk of being involved in a motorcycle crash.
Tips for Avoiding a Fresno Motorcycle Accident
- Wear Safety Equipment – California enacted a universal helmet law in 1992 requiring all riders to wear a motorcycle helmet. Motorcycle helmets can reduce the risk of serious head injury in a Fresno motorcycle accident. In addition to wearing a helmet, you should wear protective clothing whenever you are riding your motorcycle to protect your skin in the event of a crash.
- Take a Professional Motorcycle Training Course – Inexperience is a leading cause of motorcycle crashes. If you are not an experienced rider, taking a training course can teach you valuable lessons you can use to avoid a Fresno motorcycle accident. If you are under 21 years of age, you must take a training course to obtain your California motorcycle license or pass the motorcycle driving test at the DMV.
- Maintain Your Motorcycle – Check your motorcycle before each ride to ensure all parts are in working order and provide routine maintenance to keep your motorcycle in good running condition.
- Avoid Dangerous Road Hazards – Uneven payment, road debris, and slick conditions increase the risk of a motorcycle crash. Pay attention and look for road hazards so that you can slow down and take the appropriate measures to avoid a crash.
- Never Drink and Ride – Never operate your motorcycle after consuming alcohol or drugs. Never ride a motorcycle with anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Be Familiar With The Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents – If you know the common causes of motorcycle crashes, you can learn ways to avoid a crash if you encounter one of these situations while on the road.
Do You Need an Experienced Fresno Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
The motorcycle accident attorneys of Torem & Associates represent clients in Fresno, CA and the surrounding Central California Valley area. Contact our office by calling 1-800-954-4444 or use our convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation. We want to help you receive compensation for your injuries from a motorcycle accident. Let us worry about the legal aspects of a motorcycle accident claim while you focus on your health and your recovery.