Being involved in any type of motor vehicle accident is very frightening, but motorcycle accidents tend to be particularly serious. This is because, even when wearing helmets and protective gear, motorcyclists are not as well-protected as other motorists. As a result, bikers typically suffer severe, even catastrophic injuries when they are involved in collisions. Many motorcycle accidents result in fatalities.
If you or your loved one was involved in a motorcycle wreck and you believe someone else is at fault, contact the Fresno motorcycle accident attorneys at Torem & Associates. With more than 35 years of experience, our legal team is well-versed in all types of complex personal injury and wrongful death claims. We work with accident reconstruction experts and other specialists in order to obtain a clear picture of what happened and who is at fault. We offer contingent fees, meaning there is no upfront cost for you and you only have to pay our attorneys’ fees if/when we win your case.
Request a free, confidential case evaluation when you call (888) 859-4434 or contact us online.
Negligence in Motorcycle Accident Claims
While motorcyclists have a responsibility to follow the rules of the road and drive defensively to avoid accidents, the fact remains that the vast majority of motorcycle collisions are not the fault of the biker. All too often, motorists in passenger vehicles and trucks fail to pay attention and will often claim that they didn’t see the motorcyclists before the crash. Inattention is not an excuse for negligence, however. At Torem & Associates, we believe that careless and reckless drivers should be held accountable for the harm they cause.
Some common examples of how negligence can lead to motorcycle accidents include:
- A driver is distracted looking at a text message on his cellphone, causing him to rear-end a motorcyclist waiting at a red light.
- A motorist on the highway illegally exits the carpool lane, hitting a biker traveling in the lane next to the carpool lane.
- The driver of a commercial semi-truck is driving while fatigued, slowing his reaction time and causing him to fail to brake in time for a motorcyclist up ahead.
- A driver is speeding on a residential street, causing her to be unable to yield in time for a motorcyclist making a protected turn.
- A drunk driver runs a stop sign and hits a motorcyclist who has the right-of-way going through an intersection.
- Poor road design makes it nearly impossible to see around a large curve, leading to an accident when a delivery truck pulls out in front of an oncoming motorcyclist.
- A defective helmet fails to protect a biker in a collision, leading to severe traumatic brain injury and lifelong complications.
These are just some examples of how negligence can result in devastating motorcycle accidents. If you were injured or your loved one was killed in any type of motorcycle collision and you believe someone else’s negligent actions or inactions caused the accident, call our firm.
What to Do If You Are Injured in a Motorcycle Accident
First and foremost, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. Most injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents are very serious and required immediate treatment. If possible, call police to the scene of the accident and file an official report stating how the accident occurred. Again, if possible, obtain the other involved person/people’s contact information, as well as the contact information of any witnesses. Take pictures of the scene of the accident and your injuries, if you can. Report the accident to your own insurance company but refrain from speaking with any insurance adjusters from the liable party’s insurance company who may try to contact you.
As soon as possible, contact an experienced personal injury attorney. Only an attorney will be able to help you fully understand your legal options and work to secure the maximum compensation you are owed for your losses. Our motorcycle accident lawyers in Fresno can help you fight for a fair recovery.
Call (888) 859-4434 or submit an online contact form today for a free case evaluation. We are available 24/7 to assist you; se habla español.