Bicycle Safety Tips to Avoid Bicycle Accidents
Bicyclists and their families understand the devastation caused by bicycle accidents. The California Highway Patrol is still searching for the hit and run driver that took the life of a 16 year old bicyclist in Livingston.
A high school sophomore was riding his bicycle with his brother when a vehicle struck him from behind and fled the scene. Raymond Martinez died a short time later after being airlifted to Emmanuel Medical Center in Turlock. We extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends as they struggle to cope with this devastating, tragic loss.
Bicycle Safety Tips for Riders
Unfortunately, bicyclists can take every precaution known and they can still be injured in a bicycle accident because we cannot control what drivers do when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle. During 2014, California bicycle fatalities decreased by almost 13% from the previous year. This is probably due in part to bicyclists becoming more aware of the dangers posed by careless and distracted drivers in addition to state and national bicycle safety programs aimed at educating drivers and making them more aware of bicyclists.
Some of the bicycle safety tips covered in bicycle awareness programs include:
- Check all equipment before riding to ensure everything is working properly.
- Wear a bicycle helmet and protective gear every time you ride your bicycle.
- Never wear headphones or other devices that prevent you from hearing while riding your bicycle.
- Wear reflective clothing and use a headlight when riding at dawn, dusk, or night.
- Do not carry heavy packages or other items when riding your bicycle.
- Always ride as close to the right side of the road as possible.
- Obey all traffic laws and yield to traffic when required.
- Be alert at all times. Look for road hazards and careless drivers.
- Watch for people opening doors on parked vehicles.
You can access more information about bicycle safety, including information for children and teens, at:
What Damages Can I Receive In A Bicycle Accident Claim?
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to receive compensation for certain losses under California’s personal injury laws. Bicycle accident victims are entitled to receive the same types of compensation that people who are injured in motor vehicle accidents can receive. Examples of damages that are compensable in a bicycle accident claim include:
- Present, past, and future lost earnings and wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Present, past, and future medical expenses
- Property damage
- Mental anguish, emotional stress, and physical pain
- Funeral, cremation, and burial expenses in the event of a death
- Permanent disability
- Disfigurement and scarring
The amount and type of compensation you may be entitled to receive will depend on several factors including the facts surrounding your bicycle accident, the type of injury suffered, and the severity of your injury.
Our experienced Fresno bicycle accident attorneys perform a thorough accident investigation to identify key evidence to use as we prepare a case against the negligent driver. By contacting our office as soon as possible after a bicycle crash, we can begin securing and preserving the evidence needed to maximize your recovery.
Have You Been Injured in a Fresno, CA Bicycle Accident?
Torem & Associates represents accident victims in Fresno, CA and the surrounding Central California Valley. Call our office at (888) 859-4434 or use our convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation.