Traffic Fatalities: Elderly Man Dies in Head-On Collision with Tractor Trailer
In a tragic head-on collision with a Peterbilt tractor trailer just south of Mendota, a 74-year old Fresno man lost his life and the 71-year old Los Banos Peterbilt driver was seriously injured. The Fresno man was traveling east on West Jefferson in his GMC 2010 pickup truck according to The Fresno Bee when the collision occurred. The driver of the tractor trailer took evasive action to avoid a collision when the man crossed over into his lane but was unable to do so. The driver of the tractor trailer was transported to the hospital with serious injuries.
Are Traffic Fatalities Increasing in California?
Nationwide in 2014, traffic fatalities totaled 32,675 or 10.2 deaths for every 100,000 people. California experienced a decrease in traffic fatalities during 2014. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), traffic fatalities decreased by 1.1 percent from 3,107 deaths in 2013 to 3,074 deaths in 2014. Specific rates for certain traffic fatalities in California include:
- Alcohol-impaired traffic fatalities decreased by one person from 2013 to 2014 (883 to 882); however, alcohol-impaired traffic fatalities increased by one percent for overall traffic fatalities.
- During 2013, 32 percent of drivers who died in traffic accidents tested positive for drugs (of those tested).
- Motorcycle fatalities increased by 12 percent from 2013 to 2014 (463 to 519).
- Teen traffic fatalities also increased from 2013 to 2014 by almost two percent (216 to 220). However, teen driver fatalities increased over 26 percent from 2013 to 2014 (72 to 91).
- Pedestrian and bicycle fatalities both decreased from 2013 to 2014. Pedestrian fatalities decreased by 5 percent with 697 pedestrian deaths in 2014. Bicycle fatalities decreased by almost 13 percent with 128 deaths during 2014.
However, the beginning of 2015 saw an increase in traffic fatalities nationwide and in California. Nationally, traffic fatalities increased by 10 percent first three months of 2015. According to one source, there are several possible reasons while traffic fatalities may be rising:
- At the end of the recession, more people were able to find employment; therefore, more vehicles are on the road increasing the risk of car accidents.
- As gas prices decreased, people drove more than they did during the recession.
- Use of smartphones and other forms of technology while driving.
- An increase in the number of motorcycle, pedestrian, and bicycle accidents.
- More motorcycles on the road due to an increased popularity in motorcycles.
- An increase in drugged driving due to illegal drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and higher numbers of prescription drugs.
- Increase in number of distracted drivers due to texting, talking on a cell phone, eating, changing clothes, grooming, reading, etc.
Do You Need a Fresno Wrongful Death Attorney?
If your loved one has been killed by another driver, contact Torem & Associates to consult with a Fresno wrongful death attorney. Call our office at (888) 500-5000 or use our convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation. Our attorneys want to help you seek justice on behalf of your loved one.