Man Killed in Alleged DUI Accident in Madera County, CA
A 47-year old man was killed in an alleged DUI accident that occurred on Highway 41 just north of the North Fork turnoff in Madera County. The driver of the other vehicle, a pregnant woman, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter, driving with a suspended license, and felony DUI. According to one report, the driver’s blood alcohol content was 0.32 at the time of the DUI accident.
Damages in a DUI Accident
Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a crime in California as in all states. When a driver causes an accident while intoxicated, that driver can be held criminally liable for his or her actions. However, the driver can also be held liable for any damages that occur as a result of the DUI accident under California’s personal injury laws. Even if the driver is ultimately found not guilty of driving under the influence, this does not relieve the driver of the civil liability for injuries caused by an accident if you can prove that the driver was at fault for the accident.
Damages in a DUI accident depend on the type and severity of the injuries and the facts of the case. Common damages in a DUI accident claim include but are not limited to:
- All medical bills related to injuries from the accident
- Past and future lost wages and income
- Loss of earning capacity if you are unable to earn the same income as you did before the accident because of your injuries
- Property damage for your vehicle and any other personal property damaged in the DUI accident
- Funeral, burial, and/or cremation expenses in the event of a death
- Compensation for physical pain, emotional stress, and mental anguish
- Compensation for permanent disabilities, disfigurement, and/or scarring
- Compensation for loss of companionship, support, and guidance
- Cost of personal and/or medical care
- Travel expenses and other out-of-pocket expenses related to the DUI accident
Your damages may or may not include additional damages depending on your situation. In an alcohol related accident, the most important thing after proving fault is ensuring that all damages are included in the value of the claim in order to maximize the amount of compensation you receive for your losses and injuries.
Our accident attorneys have extensive experience handing car accident claims involving a drunk driver. They also have extensive experience valuing motor vehicle accident claims to ensure our clients receive the compensation they deserve and they need as they continue the healing process as they work to recover from the devastating injuries caused by another driver’s poor decision to drive while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
Do You Need A Fresno Accident Attorney After Being Injured By A Drunk Driver?
Call Torem & Associates at (888) 859-4434 use our convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation. No amount of money will undo what a drunk driver has done to you and to your family; however, it can help cover the expenses and financial losses you have suffered due to a DUI accident.