Speeding Accidents in the Fresno and Central California Valley Area
How often do you see other drivers speeding or driving recklessly? Are you guilty of speeding? If so, you are not alone. Speeding is a common factor in many traffic accidents. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently released its most recent data regarding speed-related accidents.
Speeding-related traffic fatalities increased during 2015. In 2014, the total speed-related deaths nationwide totaled 9,283. That number increased by three percent to 9,557 in 2015. In 2015, 27 percent of the traffic-related fatalities involved at least one driver who was speeding.
If a speeding driver injures you, you have the right to be compensated for your injuries. Call (888) 500-5000to speak with a Fresno speeding accident attorney today. We can help you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.
California’s Speeding Drivers
According to the information provided by the NHTSA, California had 955 speeding-related fatalities in 2015. This represented 30 percent of the total traffic fatalities for that year, slightly higher than the national average.
To protect yourself from speeding accidents, there are several things you can do when you are on the road.
- Always keep your focus on driving — avoid distractions such as texting, talking on the phone, reading, and grooming.
- Leave home early to allow for traffic and other situations that may cause you to “hurry” or feel rushed.
- Drive defensively — if you see a driver who is speeding, try to move out of his way and allow more room between you and the vehicle.
- Always leave at least several car lengths between you and the vehicle in front of you — it takes you longer to stop the faster you are traveling. Increase the distance between you and other vehicles in rainy, fog, or other poor weather conditions.
- Never leave without buckling up. Make sure everyone in the vehicle is wearing a seat belt and children are safely secured in safety seats.
- When traveling on the interstate, use cruise control to avoid speeding.
- Remember, posted speed limits are for driving in good conditions. If the weather is poor or the road conditions are bad, adjust your speed accordingly.
Avoiding a speeding accident is mostly about using common sense behind the wheel. If you take risks, you increase your chance of being injured in a traffic accident. It is not worth your life to try to arrive a few minutes earlier by exceeding the speed limit.
After an Accident, Call an Attorney
You may not be thinking about legal action after being injured in a car accident. However, your time to file a claim is limited by California’s statute of limitations. You need to take steps to protect your right to recover compensation from the reckless driver who caused the crash.
After seeking medical attention, you need to consult with an experienced Fresno car accident attorney. Our attorneys represent clients throughout Fresno and the Central California Valley area. We can help you receive money for your medical bills, lost wages, pain, and suffering. You should not bear the financial burden of a car accident caused by another driver.
Call the accident lawyers of Torem & Associates at (888) 500-5000or contact our office by using the contact form on our website to request a free consultation and no-obligation case evaluation.