Tips for Spotting a Drunk Driver in Fresno
Drunk and drugged drivers pose a real and deadly threat to everyone on the road. Drivers using alcohol or drugs have a higher risk of being involved in a traffic accident due to their impaired abilities. Because you cannot stop everyone from getting behind the wheel when they are drunk or drugged, you need to know the signs of an impaired driver so you can report the suspected driver to the police and get out of his way.
Signs that a driver may be impaired by drugs or alcohol include:
- Weaving from one side of the road to the other
- Swerving, especially when there is nothing dangerous in the road
- Tailgating or other aggressive driving behaviors
- Stopping without any reason
- Erratic braking and accelerating
- Slower than normal responses to green lights
- Driving on the wrong side of the road or turning the wrong way on a one-way street
- Driving on any surface that is not intended for motor vehicles
- Riding on the center line
- Making abrupt stops
- Failing to signal or signaling when unnecessary
- Driving extremely slow for the circumstances (i.e. driving 10 to 20 mph under the posted speed limit)
- Failing to use headlights at night
When you notice any of the above signs, increase the distance between you and the vehicle. If possible, note the tag number, color, make, model, and location of the vehicle, and call 911. Never try to pull over a suspected drugged or drunk driver. It is better to stay as far away as possible and allow law enforcement personnel to handle the matter.
Who is Responsible for a Damages in a Drunk Driving Accident?
If a drunk driver injures you, you might be entitled compensation for your injuries. However, you must prove that the driver caused the crash. Simply alleging the driver was drugged or drunk is not sufficient, even if the officer gave the driver a ticket for DUI. It is your burden to prove that the driver was negligent in some manner that negligence resulted in the collision.
For example, the driver was traveling on the wrong side of the road, turned left in front of you when you had the right of way, or crashed into the rear of your vehicle when you were stopped. Once you prove liability, you can recover compensation for your injuries.
Because proving fault in some DUI accidents can be difficult, you need a team of lawyers working for you who understand drunk driving charges in addition to personal injury laws. Your attorney may need to conduct a separate investigation to determine fault and obtain evidence to prove that fault. The sooner you begin looking for evidence, the quicker you can locate and secure the evidence for use if you must go to trial.
Call a Fresno or Central California Valley for Assistance and a Free Appointment
Wheneve ryou are injured call the lawyers of Torem & Associates by telephone at (888) 859-4434.You may also contact our office using the contact form on our website.
Do not let a drunk or drugged driver ruin your life. Hold the person and his insurance company accountable for the DUI accident. Let us help you fight for a fair settlement for your injury claim.