Memorial Day Is Deadliest Day for Accidents
How Do the Holidays Rank for Motor Vehicle Fatalities?
Driving during the holidays increases your risk of being injured or killed in a traffic-related accident. Based on the statistics, there is an average of 250 traffic fatalities during any normal three-day period. Except for Christmas and New Year’s, the other holidays examined have a higher rate of traffic fatalities. The holidays ranked from highest to lowest as follows:
- 312 deaths — Memorial Day
- 308 deaths — Labor Day
- 307 deaths — July Fourth
- 280 deaths — Easter
- 258 deaths — Thanksgiving
- 245 deaths — New Year’s
- 231 deaths — Christmas
As you can see, Memorial Day is the deadliest holiday. Driving over Memorial Day Weekend places you at four times the risk of being killed in an accident. Higher numbers of DUI incidents and more people on the road during holidays contribute to the increased risk of death during the holidays. While you may not be able to avoid driving this Memorial Day, knowing about the increased risk of a traffic accident can help you stay safe while on the roads over the weekend.
Safe Driving Tips for Memorial Day Weekend
If you are leaving for a road trip or just driving across town, these safe driving tips can help you avoid an injury from a traffic accident.
- Leave earlier than you need to leave to allow extra time for traffic and congestion.
- Slow down! Decreasing your speed allows you additional time to avoid a collision caused by traffic jams and distracted or negligent drivers.
- Buckle up! In addition to being the law, wearing your seat belt reduces your risk of death and injury in a car accident. Make sure your children are secured in a car seat or safety seat designed for their age, weight, and height.
- Avoid driving late at night when bars and clubs are closing.
- Plan your route before you leave your home and set your GPS. You don’t want to try to adjust your GPS while you are driving.
- Put down your cell phone and limit other distractions. You don’t want to be the cause of a traffic accident this weekend.
For more safety tips for holiday travel, visit the AAA Exchange website.
Fresno And Central California Valley Personal Injury Attorneys
The Fresno personal injury attorneys of Torem & Associates help injured victims and their families throughout the Central California Valley area. You can contact our office by telephone at (888) 859-4434or online by using the contact form on our website. We offer free consultations and accept most personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis.