How Much is My Truck Accident Worth in California?
When a negligent driver injures you, whether you are a passenger, another driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, you are entitled to recover companies for losses under California’s personal injury laws. However, you must prove that the other driver caused the collision and you were injured because of the crash. Proving fault in a truck accident can be complex.
Hiring a Fresno truck accident attorney is highly recommended. An experienced attorney understands how to perform a truck accident investigation to obtain evidence to prove another party is liable for your damages. Furthermore, an attorney with experience representing truck accident victims understands how to correct value a claim so that you have a higher chance of recovering full compensation for all damages, losses, and injuries.
How Much is Your Truck Accident Claim Worth?
Compensatory damages are intended to compensate you for your actual economic losses caused by the accident, your injuries, and your recovery. These losses are considered your actual “out of pocket” losses. In a truck accident claim, you may be entitled to recover the cost of your:
- Property damages — The cost of repairs to your vehicle or the fair market value of your vehicle if your vehicle is totaled in the crash.
- Medical costs — The expenses of your healthcare related to injuries sustained in the accident. The medical treatment must be reasonable and necessary. Expenses that you might include are emergency room visits, surgeries, hospital stays, prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, physical therapy, and medical equipment.
- Loss of income — If you must be out of work because of your injuries, you can recover the amount of income you lost while out of work.
- Future economic losses — If you suffer a permanent injury, you might be entitled to an amount that covers future medical care, personal care, or loss of income.
- Other economic losses — In addition to the above, your claim may include amounts for transportation, costs for at-home treatment, cost of help to perform household chores, etc.
It is important to work with an experienced attorney who can provide you with instructions about how to maximize your compensation by keeping detailed records of each expense related to the truck accident. Furthermore, an experienced attorney can assist you with obtaining evidence of future losses to increase the amount of money you might recover for your claim.
Pain and Suffering Damages for a California Truck Accident
Pain and suffering damages is a common term used to refer to non-economic damages. In addition to suffering financial losses because of a truck accident, you also suffer great physical pain, emotional stress, and mental anguish. You are entitled to be reimbursed for these losses. Even though there is not a “bill” or “invoice” for your physical pain or emotional suffering, this does not mean that your damages for pain and suffering are any less real.
In addition to stress and physical pain, non-economic damages also include your losses because of:
- Permanent physical impairment
- Loss of companionship and intimate relations
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Determining the value of non-economic damages can be very difficult. Each person suffers very differently, even though the actual physical injuries may be the same. Therefore, it is important to work with an attorney who understands how to increase your chance of recovering full compensation for your losses. Non-economic damages can be a substantial portion of your claim. Do not minimize the importance of experienced legal counsel when calculating the value of a truck accident claim.
Why Do You Need a Fresno Truck Accident Lawyer?
Our Fresno truck accident lawyers seek to maximize the amount of money you recover for your accident claim. We utilize resources, including expert witnesses, to calculate the value of your claim and provide evidence to support our demand for settlement. If the insurance company refuses to pay a fair and just amount, we are prepared to file a truck accident lawsuit.
Do not make the mistake of trying to handle your claim without an attorney. You might receive less money than your claim is worth if you attempt to handle a complex legal matter without competent legal counsel.
Contact Torem & Associates by telephone at (888) 500-5000or online by using the contact form on our website to schedule a free legal consultation.