Five Ways You Can Win Your Personal Injury Accident Claim
If you have been injured in a personal injury accident, you need to contact an attorney to discuss filing an accident claim. When another person causes you to be injured through a negligent, careless, or reckless act, you deserve to be compensated for your injuries. Our Fresno personal injury lawyers can help you file your accident claim to seek reimbursement for your financial losses and compensation for your pain and suffering.
However, there are some things you can do to help us, especially regarding your medical treatment and records. Below are five things you need to do regarding your medical care after an accident to help strengthen your chances of recovering compensation for your claim.
- Obtain Medical Treatment — The first thing you must do is see a doctor. If you did not go to the emergency room from the accident scene, you need to see a doctor immediately. If you do not get medical care after your accident, it will be more difficult to prove that you were injured in the accident. It will also be easier for the defense to argue that your injury was not sustained in the accident if you have a delay in medical care or you do not seek medical care at all. It is best to see a doctor to rule out any injuries than to skip the doctor after an accident.
- Symptom Description — When you are describing your symptoms, be very detailed and descriptive. If you are in pain, tell your doctor where you are hurting on your body and the level of pain. Is the pain a dull ache or a sharp pain? Different types of pain or other symptoms can indicate different injuries and conditions. By being very specific when you describe your injuries, you can help the doctor diagnose your injuries correctly.
- Be Consistent — When you are describing our symptoms, try to be consistent, especially if multiple doctors are treating you. Being consistent when you describe your symptoms helps make your medical records consistent, which is better for your injury claim. It can also ensure that your physicians develop a treatment plan that gives you the best chance of recovery.
- Include Prior Injuries in Medical History — When your doctor is questioning you about your medical history, you need to be as accurate as possible. If you suffered a prior injury or illness, you need to tell your doctor. For example, if you injured your neck in a fall, you should tell your doctor about the injury. You are permitted to file an accident claim for the injury you sustained in the accident, even if you have suffered a previous accident. However, it is crucial that you are upfront and honest about your medical history. If you are not honest about your medical history, a defense attorney could use the fact you “forgot” about a prior accident or injury to
- Communicate with Your Attorney. You need to tell your attorney everything about the accident, your injury, and your recovery. Your attorney is the one person that needs to know everything. In many cases, an attorney can deal with an issue if he knows about it. However, the things you do not tell your attorney are the things that could become an issue in your case.
Call a Fresno Personal Injury Attorney for Help
If you need a personal injury attorney in Fresno, contact Torem & Associates for a free consultation. You can contact our office by calling (559) 500-5000 or 1-800-954-4444 or by using the contact form on our website.