What Can I Do To Avoid a Fresno Motorcycle Accident?
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), the number of motorcycle fatalities in California increased by 12% from 2013 to 2014. Your odds of being killed in a motor vehicle accident when riding a motorcycle are higher than if you are riding in a passenger vehicle. Motorcycles do not afford the same level of protection as a passenger vehicle. During a collision, you take the full force of the impact when riding a motorcycle compared to the vehicle taking most of the force of the impact when you are in a passenger vehicle. The lack of protection for the rider is one of the main reasons a Fresno motorcycle accident typically results in catastrophic injuries for the cyclist.
While there may be nothing you can do to avoid a Fresno motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver, you can take steps to reduce your risk of being involved in a motorcycle crash.
Tips for Avoiding a Fresno Motorcycle Accident
- Wear Safety Equipment – California enacted a universal helmet law in 1992 requiring all riders to wear a motorcycle helmet. Motorcycle helmets can reduce the risk of serious head injury in a Fresno motorcycle accident. In addition to wearing a helmet, you should wear protective clothing whenever you are riding your motorcycle to protect your skin in the event of a crash.
- Take a Professional Motorcycle Training Course – Inexperience is a leading cause of motorcycle crashes. If you are not an experienced rider, taking a training course can teach you valuable lessons you can use to avoid a Fresno motorcycle accident. If you are under 21 years of age, you must take a training course to obtain your California motorcycle license or pass the motorcycle driving test at the DMV.
- Maintain Your Motorcycle – Check your motorcycle before each ride to ensure all parts are in working order and provide routine maintenance to keep your motorcycle in good running condition.
- Avoid Dangerous Road Hazards – Uneven payment, road debris, and slick conditions increase the risk of a motorcycle crash. Pay attention and look for road hazards so that you can slow down and take the appropriate measures to avoid a crash.
- Never Drink and Ride – Never operate your motorcycle after consuming alcohol or drugs. Never ride a motorcycle with anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Be Familiar With The Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents – If you know the common causes of motorcycle crashes, you can learn ways to avoid a crash if you encounter one of these situations while on the road.
You can obtain more information on motorcycle safety through the NHTSA and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
Do You Need an Experienced Fresno Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
The motorcycle accident attorneys of Torem & Associates represent clients in Fresno, CA and the surrounding Central California Valley area. Contact our office by calling (888) 500-5000 or use our convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation. We want to help you receive compensation for your injuries from a motorcycle accident. Let us worry about the legal aspects of a motorcycle accident claim while you focus on your health and your recovery.Categories: