WE'RE AVAILABLE 24/7 (888) 500-5000

What Information Do I Need to Gather After My Motor Vehicle Accident?

Torem & Associates

When you are in a motor vehicle accident, you will receive copies of many documents that relate to your accident and injuries. It is a good idea to use a folder for each different type of record so you have a safe, convenient place to put records and documents as you receive them. It also makes it very easy to provide the documents and records to your motor vehicle accident attorney.

Below are examples of documents that you should keep related to your injuries and the accident.

Motor Vehicle Accident Records and Documents

Police Report

A police report is not admissible in court; however, it does provide valuable information about your motor vehicle accident. You can obtain a copy of the police report by contacting the law enforcement agency that arrived at the scene of the crash. Information that is very useful on a police report includes:

  • The date of the accident;
  • Location of the accident;
  • Names and contact information for both drivers and the owners of the vehicles (if not the drivers);
  • The name and badge number of the reporting officer; and,
  • Details about the accident such as the weather at the time of the collision, the statement made by the drivers, etc.

Sometimes a police report will list other valuable information such as witness names, how many occupants were in each car, and who the officer cited as being at fault for the accident.

Property Damage Estimates

Keep all documents regarding the damage to your vehicle including repair estimates, receipts, and appraisals. If the other driver is at fault for the motor vehicle crash, his or her insurance company will be responsible for repairing or replacing your vehicle.

Medical Records

Keep copies of all documents related to your injuries from the motor vehicle accident including medical records, statements, and receipts. Do not forget to keep copies of any health insurance documents that show payment of accident-related medical expenses. You need copies of medical records from every phase of you treatment and from every provider. Examples include but are not limited to:

  • Ambulance services
  • Emergency room services
  • Surgeons, therapists, and other medical professionals
  • Prescriptions and over-the-counter medications
  • Physical therapy
  • Psychological treatment
  • Anesthesiologist
  • Radiologist

Work-related Records

Keep copies of all work-related records. Paystubs, wage statements, direct deposit records, and any other documents showing what your income was prior to the motor vehicle accident. You should also keep copies of any communication between you and your employer related to your absence from work due to the motor vehicle accident. When you return to work, if you are earning less than before the accident due to your injuries, keep records of this too for use during your accident claim.

Our personal injury attorneys and staff can assist you with gathering all of the information needed for an accident claim. In many cases, we can request this information directly from the provider or party. However, you should keep all documents you receive and provide those to our office.

Accident and Recovery Journal

Another important document you can provide to our office is a motor vehicle accident journal. After your accident, begin keeping a journal with notes about your recovery. Include your level of pain, the things you are unable to do because of your injury, and how your life has changed because of the motor vehicle accident. Include a log of all document appointments, missed work days, and out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident. A journal can help us calculate the amount we will request as compensation for your pain and suffering.

Call a Fresno, CA Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney for a Free Consultation

Our personal injury attorneys represent clients in Fresno, CA and throughout the surrounding Central California Valley. Call Torem & Associates at (888) 500-5000 or use our convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation.


Free Consultation

Call (888) 500-5000 to learn about legal options