Drivers Ignored Stop Signs Causing Two Car Crashes Near Selma in Fresno County
ABC30 reported two car crashes on July 10 near Selma resulted in one fatality. According to reports, both car crashes were caused by drivers who ignored a stop sign.
The first crash occurred at the intersection of Academy and Rose Avenues. This collision involved a commercial truck and a pickup truck. The driver of the commercial truck ran a stop sign and collided with the pickup truck. One of the passengers in the pickup truck had to be airlifted to Community Regional. Others inside the pickup truck had to be taken to Fresno hospitals for treatment. The driver of the commercial vehicle was not injured. Authorities do not believe that alcohol or drugs were a factor in this first collision.
About an hour later, another crash occurred at the intersection of Nebraska and Mendocino. A red SUV traveling eastbound on Nebraska blew through a stop sign colliding with a vehicle traveling southbound. Both vehicles overturned in a nearby orchard. According to officials, the passenger in the car died from injuries sustained in the accident. The driver of the SUV who ran the stop sign may have been under the influence of marijuana and a prescription medication, possibly a narcotic, at the time of the collision.
Running Stop Signs – Common Cause of Traffic Accidents
The accidents above illustrate how dangerous it can be when a driver fails to obey a stop sign. Thousands of people are injured each year in traffic accidents caused by drivers running stop signs. As in one of the collisions above, sometimes running stop sign can result in a fatality.
Stop signs and red lights are designed to make intersections safer for everyone who uses our roads (i.e. drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and bicyclists). Ignoring a stop sign is a traffic offense; however, the cost of running a stop sign can be much higher. Running a stop sign can cost someone their life. Drivers should use extra caution to avoid running stop signs and stop lights for their safety and the safety of others.
Common Causes of Stop Sign Car Accidents
A driver may run a stop sign for one of several reasons. Below are common causes of stop sign car accidents.
- Distracted Driving – Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of all traffic accidents. Drivers fail to pay attention to the task of driving because they are texting, eating, grooming, reading, or doing something other than focusing on the road ahead.
- Reckless Driving – Some drivers simply fail to stop because they are speeding or driving recklessly.
- Unfamiliar Intersections – Stop sign car accidents can truly be an “accident” if a driver is unfamiliar with the route he or she is taking. Sometimes a driver simply does not see the stop sign until it is too late to stop.
- Impatience – For drivers who are in a hurry, coming to a complete stop at an intersection is “wasting time.” Instead, the driver slows down but continues through the intersection without stopping.
- Drunk Driving – Drunk or drugged driving, as suspected in one of the above accidents, is another contributing factor in many stop sign car accidents.
If another driver has caused a collision for failing to stop at a red light to stop sign, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. You should contact a Fresno car accident attorney as soon as possible to protect your right to a full and fair settlement of your car accident claim.
Personal Injury Attorneys For Fresno, CA and Surrounding Central California Valley Area
Contact Torem & Associates at (888) 500-5000 or use our convenient online contact form to schedule a free consultation with a Fresno car accident lawyer.Categories: