WE'RE AVAILABLE 24/7 (888) 500-5000

Fresno Car Accident Questions – Part One

Torem & Associates

When you are involved in a car accident, you may have many questions about what you should do and how to file an insurance claim. Our Fresno car accident attorneys meet with clients each week who have been injured in traffic accidents in California. Below are answers to several of the common questions about car accident cases in Fresno.

  1. What do I do immediately after a car accident?

You should call 911 to report the crash and stay at the scene until help arrives. At the accident scene, be sure to ask witnesses for their names and contact information. Many times, a witness will leave before the officer arrives once the witness verifies no one is severely injured. If possible, take photographs of the accident scene while you wait on the officer. Never admit fault or say you are sorry at the accident scene.

  1. The insurance adjuster for the other driver called and asked me to give a recorded statement, should I?

No, you should not provide a recorded statement for the adjuster. The adjuster does not work for you; he works for the insurance company for the other driver. He may try to give you the impression you are required to provide a statement before your claim can be processed. This is not true. The adjuster wants to obtain your recorded statement to get information he can use to deny or lower the value of your claim. Before providing any statements, you need to consult with a Fresno car accident attorney.

  1. Who pays my medical bills from the car accident?

If the other driver caused the car crash, his insurance company should be responsible for paying any reasonable medical expenses related to the accident. However, the insurance company will not pay any of your expenses until the claim is settled. Most medical providers understand that the claim must be settled first, and they are willing to wait for payment, but they may require a written letter from your attorney ensuring they will receive payment from your settlement proceeds. You may also use your health insurance to pay medical bills, but you might have to reimburse your health insurance provider for any bills it pays from the money you receive for the accident.

  1. Who pays for the damage to my car?

Again, if the other driver is at fault for the crash, his insurance company should pay to repair your vehicle. You can settle the property damage portion of your accident claim without settling the bodily injury claim so that you can get your car fixed now instead of waiting until you have healed fully from your injuries and negotiated a settlement with the insurance provider.

  1. Can I get a rental car while my car is being repaired?

In most cases, if the insurance company for the other driver accepts liability for the claim, it will pay for a rental car for you to use while your car is being repaired. The company may only pay for the number of days it believes the repair shop should take to complete the repairs. If the repairs to your car take longer, you may need to pay for additional days and add that amount to your settlement demand.

Do You Have More Questions About Car Accidents? Ask Our Fresno Car Accident Attorney

We urge you to contact our office for a free consultation with one of our attorneys. You can learn more about car accident claims and your options for recovering money for your expenses. Call Torem & Associates at (888) 500-5000 or use the contact form on our website to schedule your free appointment.


Free Consultation

Call (888) 500-5000 to learn about legal options